Criteria for John Fagan Award, Grow Regina Community Gardens Inc.
- Awarded to a gardener who like John Fagan has contributed ‘over and above’ what is expected of a Board member or gardener
- May be a Board member but is not restricted only to those who have served on the Board.
- Embodies the mandate and mission of GRCG in their actions and words:
- Promotes the social, economic and cultural well-being of others through community gardening
- Teaches others how to garden
- Is a role model for other community gardeners as to how to comport oneself as part of a community garden.
- Helps to ‘grow community’ as part of the GRCG and elsewhere.
- Will generally be a long-time (5 years+) gardener.
- Nominations may come from any gardener or Board member, in writing to the Board, addressing the above criteria.
- One award will be presented at the Grow Regina AGM any year there is a suitable candidate put forward.
- This award should be promoted to members and Board via GR website, Facebook, and email reminder in December / January of each year by the Past President.
- Past President guides the nomination process and leads Board’s selection and the award purchase itself.
The 2022 John Fagan Award goes to Yvette Crane!
The 2022 recipient of the John Fagan Award is Yvette Crane. Yvette was a long time gardener and Grow Regina Board member who served selflessly in different capacities over the years including a term as Chair. Her efficiency and hard work were a benefit to each and every one of us at Grow Regina. Yvette was an absolute pleasure to serve with and became a great friend over the years.
One of Yvette’s proudest accomplishments was the construction of the beautiful Vic Cicansky Gazebo which is now the centerpiece of our garden. Her relentless dedication to the project is one of the main reasons that this wonderful artwork exists. So it was only fitting that we held our first scheduled event in the gazebo on June 25th to present the John Fagan Award. The event was well attended and cake and refreshments were enjoyed by all.
The following day Yvette and her husband Ian moved to Vancouver Island to enjoy a well deserved retirement. We wish them all the best and are grateful for their years in Saskatchewan.
In 2021 the John Fagan Award went to Don Fenwick!
Don has been involved with the garden since its opening. Don served on the board and actively worked to maintain the garden’s beauty by serving as garden inspector for many years. Don’s dedication to his own garden plot is unparalleled; he can be seen in the garden almost every day from April through September. Don greets everyone he meets in the garden and will will eagerly share his wisdom with anyone who has gardening questions.
Like the award’s namesake, Don has contributed over and above what is expected of a board member or gardener. It was our pleasure to present the 2021 John Fagan Award to Don Fenwick this year.