Criteria for John Fagan Award, Grow Regina Community Gardens Inc.
- Awarded to a gardener who like John Fagan has contributed ‘over and above’ what is expected of a Board member or gardener
- May be a Board member but is not restricted only to those who have served on the Board.
- Embodies the mandate and mission of GRCG in their actions and words:
- Promotes the social, economic and cultural well-being of others through community gardening
- Teaches others how to garden
- Is a role model for other community gardeners as to how to comport oneself as part of a community garden.
- Helps to ‘grow community’ as part of the GRCG and elsewhere.
- Will generally be a long-time (5 years+) gardener.
- Nominations may come from any gardener or Board member, in writing to the Board, addressing the above criteria.
- One award will be presented at the Grow Regina AGM any year there is a suitable candidate put forward.
- This award should be promoted to members and Board via GR website, Facebook, and email reminder in December / January of each year by the Past President.
- Past President guides the nomination process and leads Board’s selection and the award purchase itself.
In 2021, the John Fagan award went to Don Fenwick – Congratulations!
Don has been involved with the garden since its opening. Don served on the board and actively worked to maintain the garden’s beauty by serving as garden inspector for many years. Don’s dedication to his own garden plot is unparalleled; he can be seen in the garden almost every day from April through September. Don greets everyone he meets in the garden and will will eagerly share his wisdom with anyone who has gardening questions.
Like the award’s namesake, Don has contributed ‘over and above’ what is expected of a Board member or gardener. It was our pleasure to present the 2021 John Fagan Award to Don Fenwick this year.